Monday, February 7, 2011

Croissants as a metaphor for my life

I chose carefully what I make in my kitchen.  I have very limited space to work with and the simplest cake or cookie undertaking can turn into a huge frustration.  Imagine my happiness at finding a nice round baking plaque to fit just perfectly in my pint-sized oven a few weeks ago.  That is my hand, so you have good idea of the space I am working with if this fits perfectly in my oven.


I'm going to be teaching some pastry classes here in Paris soon!  One of the classes I have been contracted to teach (and help design) is a croissant class.  I've been making test recipes of croissants in my kitchen.  I'm trying to see what is the best way to show someone how to make croissants in a 3 hour time frame (and somewhat limited space).  Unless you have professional grade kitchen and dough sheeter, making croissants in less then one days time is an impossible undertaking.  It's even more challenging with limited counter space to roll out sheets of dough.

I've been comparing recipes from various cook books of mine and have found the quickest way to make croissants is to use overnight frementation.  This means you make the basic croissant dough the day (or 2-3 days) before you intend to roll, shape and back.  Then you leave the dough in your refrigerator overnight to develop flavor.  The next day the hard work begins.   I took my first test batch out and began to roll the soft, stretchy dough.  I added my square of butter and began the folding process.  I really pushed this batch, trying to see how quickly I could get through the turns.  I think because my kitchen was so cold, I really did not  have to rest the dough much between turns, I just kept going. 

While I was rolling the dough, I was thinking to myself, should I go ahead and do another turn?  The dough doesn't seem to be resisting, the butter doesn't seem too soft, so why not?  I'm not normally a pusher.  My personal philosophy has always kinda been go with the flow, see where your path takes you.  Don't force anything unnatural.  You can't push croissants either.  There are a few ways to speed up the process, but in the end you need to plan and have a little patience......

 Looking good so far

And there is most often a sweet reward in the end.

My Homemade Croissants

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, they look amazing! I'll have to pop in and take one of your classes =)