Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cupcake Camp Paris!

 Test Subject #1 for My Cupcake Camp Entry

In the midst of working La Nuit at Laduree and trying to catch up on sleep during the day, I've been quite busy in my petite cuisine.  My friend Lindsay of Lost in Cheeseland informed me of a cool event taking place (quite appropriately) on July 4th here in Paris.  It's called "Cupcake Camp".  I believe one was held in Boston shortly before I left for Paris, but I did not know enough about it in advance to participate.  Once I heard about Cupcake Camp Paris I had to join in on the fun. 

Now as many of you know, cupcakes have become quite the rage across the US.  What's not to love about individual sized yummy cakes in almost any flavor and decoration you can imagine?  Honestly I can't say I have the cupcake fever like so many, but I do like them.  Our cake decorator at Whole Foods created many great combinations for our store.  My favorite might have been the Banana Split Sundae cupcake- Vanilla cupcake filled with Chocolate ganache and Strawberry jam, topped with a scoop of Banana flavored buttercream, and sprinkled with chopped nuts.  Looked just like a Sundae.  I always enjoyed the days at WF when I got to help decorate the cupcakes, it was fun and a nice change of pace from finishing my mini pastries.

The event planners for Cupcake Camp Paris have been blown away by the response of people who want to make cupcakes and by people who want to come and eat cupcakes.  I'm excited to go and see what flavors and decor my fellow bakers have come up with, and I'm hoping to network and make some new Parisian friends as well.  If you are in Paris, its only 10 euros to get in and have a drink and eat all the cupcakes you want!  All the proceeds go to Rebuilding Haiti.  Find more information about the event here, including a list of bakers participating: http://cupcakecampparis.blogspot.com

In other news....
Tonight is my last night on the night shift at Laduree.  It's been a fun and challenging two weeks.  I'm going to miss that crazy group of boys, but I will see them in passing as I shift back to working days. I've got lots of fun memories, and lets just say don't let boys with lighters play with alcohol based sanitizer.......oh kitchens!

No comments: