Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Have a Heart, Take 2

 Molded Chocolate Hearts

It's funny that I find the Valentine's Days that I spend with friends always turn out the best.  But isn't almost anything made better when shared with Friends? Last year I hosted a little potluck dinner at my apartment and the food and company was wonderful.  This year myself, my roommate and some friends cooked up an amazing batch of Eggplant Parmesan.  Paired with a nice Italian red and some fresh baked bread from my new place of employment, it was a wonderful Valentine's meal.  We followed it with my hand made chocolates, tasty pastries from Sofra (wonderful cafe in Belmont) fresh pineapple and tea.  It would have only been made more perfect if my Valentine had been able to join us from across the ocean.  I may have sent something special his way.....

Just in time for Valentine's Day, I had volunteered through the CSCA to do a chocolate demo at Boston University along with my classmate Maggie.  We found ourselves once again in E kitchen at school on Monday and Tuesday night, prepping for the demo and helping out with an Alumni workshop on chocolate as well.  It was like we never left, except we got home a lot earlier!  I borrowed some chocolate molds, and bought a bunch of supplies at Whole Foods on the previous Sunday so I could practice and make my own chocolates as well. 

For last Valentine's Day I had made cute little marzipan hearts and covered them in chocolate.  However, I hadn't been trained how to properly temper chocolate yet, so they turned out delicious, but not as beautiful as they could be.  This year, instead of dipping, I opted for molded hearts.  I made one of my favorite fillings from school, Chef Delphin's Lou-Ginger recipe.  It's a Ganache made with fresh ginger infused cream, milk chocolate and bits of candied ginger.  I cut thin slices of the candied ginger to place on the hearts as well.  I had a few other Ganaches as well; Raspberry, Coffee, White Chocolate-Lemon, and a Passion Fruit.  I used some colored cocoa butter to give these their own special looks.  Chocolate is still a real pain to work with.  It's time consuming, and tempering has to be done spot-on or you have to start all over again. It is a labor of Love because I really love the end result.  I mean, who doesn't love pretty hand-made chocolates?

Pretty Chocolate Heart Assortment

Unfortunately, a snow storm was predicted the day of the Chocolate Demo, so it was called off.  We are hoping to reschedule soon. I am looking at buying some chocolate molds so I can keep practicing my chocolate skills.  There are plenty of birthdays, holidays and just days to give and eat chocolates ahead.

Lots has been happening for me this month.  As mentioned above, I have a new job! I said my goodbyes to Crema and accepted a full time position working for Whole Foods.  Yes, I've gone corporate, but I get to make pretty desserts AND I get great benefits.  I'm very much impressed with the company so far.  Other than getting up at 5am each morning, it is a very stress-free and great environment.  It is another adjustment getting used to working 40hrs a week again, but since I go into work so early, I leave much earlier as well.   All in all, I'm very thankful to have reached this point and to finally have a full time job.

3 comments:

Melanie Ester said...

I'm a current CSCA student and also work at Whole Foods. Which store are you at?

JenniDoesDessert said...

I am at CRP. Which one are you at?

Melanie Ester said...

I'm at Fresh Pond but I'm in the produce department.