Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What I'm baking now.....




My Trusty Kitchen Aid


Early Saturday morning, I walked to school to take the written final at 9am.  1 hour and 15 mins later, I handed in my test and walked out.  So quitely my time at the CSCA came to a close.  Then it was off to a busy day of work at Crema.  I don't think the reality really set in till I was home on Monday and Tuesday nights and in bed before Midnight.  It is strange to have so much free time.....

Free time!  I now realize I can return to baking more for pleasure, which is really what this whole experience was about; doing something that I enjoy.  So here I am in my kitchen at a quarter to 11pm on a Tuesday night and I'm making Baba au Rhum, with Cognac soaked Cherries in it.  There is no sound of clanging pots and pans, no chef stomping about yelling, "Maintenant!, do it right now!", there won't be a quiz next week over what I have worked on tonight.  There is the hum of my refrigerator, the click of my keyboard, a little music from my iTunes and the delightful smell of yeast.  There is baking for the shear joy of baking.  Later, there will be delicous Rum soaked Baba and whipped cream.  After the crazy day I had at work, it is nice to relax and bake at my own speed, and remember that this is why I do what I do.


Proofing the Babas

My adventure, of course, does not end with school.  There is the job search, more experimenting and lots of creative growth to come ( I hope).  My plan is to try to create/practice one dessert a week, at least. I want to become a pastry explorer.  So look for some new stuff coming soon.


Baba au Rhum with Cognac Cherries

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That looks so wonderful! I am hungry now....