Thursday, January 28, 2010

Graduation


 My Diploma

I'm not much for shameless self-promotion beyond, "hey, I'm a pastry chef, you should hire me to make delicious things for you!".  However several people have requested to read, or have a copy of my Graduation speech, so I am posting it here with a few photos of the great day for all to access.  Now you may want to know, how did I get so lucky to be chosen to speak at my graduation?  Well, deep down inside, I'm a nerd.  I love to study, I've always applied myself in school and I have a pretty good memory.....so when you combine these things with an overwhelming desire to see, do and absorb all things pastry the results are often a good student.  I received a call last Tuesday informing that I was the Valedictorian of my class and I could give a 3-5 minute speech.  I was very excited about the news, but not so excited about the speech.  BUT considering everything I have survived so far, I figured getting up and saying a few words in front of my instructors, classmates and their families couldn't be so bad.

I like to think I'm a funny person.  I love telling stories and making people laugh.  So my goal for my speech was to make people laugh.  That was what I was most nervous about as I stepped up to the podium on Saturday, are they going to laugh?  That's all I really wanted.  Amazingly, I managed to make it through the speech with no hiccups or stumbling over words.  People did laugh, and I think they clapped, but I can't really remember because all I could think about afterwards was getting back to my seat and drinking some water.

Here is my speech, hope it makes you laugh as well.


10 things that have changed in my life since I decided to follow my dream of becoming a pastry chef.

1.       I am told on an almost regular basis that I am someone’s favorite person or new best friend, often by complete stangers or people who have just eaten something I've made.


2.       If I had a dollar for every time someone has asked if I want to work at Finale, I’d be much closer to paying off my student loan….

3.       I’m afraid to have my cholesterol checked due to the copious amounts of butter I have consumed in the last year, but every occupation has its hazards. 

4.       Cake has become an acceptable meal replacement at anytime of the day, but it’s especially good for breakfast.

5.       A propane torch has become a standard utensil in my kitchen, and I’m not afraid to use it.

6.       My sugar intake has increased, but so has my vegetable consumption in an effort to counteract the sugar.  

7.       I am now considered a culinary expert by many. Friends and family call me up with all kinds of tough culinary questions, for example, I’m making chicken and rice…should I use chicken flavored rice or regular rice?  hmmmm.

8.       I’ve gotten much better at doing math in my head, I can easily convert oz to grams vice versa, but I'm still considering petitioning the United States to adopt the metric system.

9.       When asked what I do for work and I respond that I am a pastry chef, people get really excited and want to ask lots of questions, including my favorite, How do you stay so thin! Must be the vegetables.

10.   I have received more marriage proposals then I can count.  I don’t know which bothers my boyfriend the most, the proposals from the men, or the ones from the women.

As many of us already know, being a chef is not an easy job.  It requires much physical and mental effort.  You stand for hours on end, lift, bend, and squeeze past people.  Kitchens are noisy and crazy places.  The work can be repetitive, bosses can be brutal, the pay is often not great, and you are mostly likely working when everyone else isn’t.  It takes passion and creativity, flexibility and stamina, and a desire to work hard because you love it.  And that is why we are all here today, because we share that passion, we love to create wonderful food, and we chose to follow our dreams.  Congratulations.  My year at The Cambridge School of Culinary Arts was amazing.  I’ve made new friends, learned so many new things, and had some really great adventures.  I’d like to 
say thank you to the staff, instructors and all my classmates for this wonderful experience.  Also 
a very special thank you to  my family and friends who have supported and encouraged me, and 
loaned me their tastebuds.  I wish everyone great success and happiness in their careers.

It's Official; I'm Chef Jenni

I'd also like to thank you who have followed my blog during the past year and have left comments of support and encouragement. It's been an amazing year.

And that's it for the self-promotion.....for now.

Coming soon, more tasty and pretty desserts.   Here is a Pear Almond Tart I made for a nice lady last week.


Pear Almond Tart

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Congrat's! That is wondeful and you should be proud.

Delicious Dishings said...

Congratulations!!

I've only been working at a bakery for 6 months now, but I get so many of the same things... complete strangers love me, people ask how I stay so thin, etc.

Great speech!

Bettie OffDead said...

This made me cry. I adore you and watching you blossom this past year has made me unbelievable proud. xxoo

Kristen said...

Ahhh you are SO amazing!!! What a wonderful speech, and congrats again :) Yay Chef Jenni!!! xoxo