Friday, January 8, 2010

2 down....1 to go!

This past week was the most stressful I've experienced since starting school. The one thing I have enjoyed most since leaving the corporate world and working in food, is much lower stress levels. With the preparation for finals, all the signs of stress came back. My stomach was in knots; I was fidgety and struggling to focus. However it didn't get out of control. I had someone to help keep me grounded, and he was also a great study partner.

I started Monday by going for a walk in Downtown Boston in the snow, followed by a lunch at Wagamama's and dessert at LA Burdick's, all with Romain. We then sat in my apartment and went over the flashcards of the recipes for my final. At 4pm I walked to school with my knife kit and bag full of all my equipment. I was finally ready.

I pulled a good card; the Citron. It's a lovely lemony cake. French buttercream and mousse flavored with a tangy lemon curd, layered between a disc of meringue and a thin, Lemoncello soaked White Genoise. Lemon Glaze covers the top, and fluffy White Genoise crumbs coat the sides. The finished cake tastes as heavenly as it looks. I had a few minor disasters, and it was a very long evening, but in the end I was happy with my cake and the judges gave me a good review.
Citron Cake and Pistachio Financiers

Tuesday was a bit tougher. I had last minute work to do on my creative that was due that night. My idea had been given multiple thumbs up (and requests for more to eat) by Romain and my roommates. However, I was still a little nervous. There was more I wanted to do, but I was running short on time. The idea behind the creative practicum is, other than the obvious-be creative, to make your own dessert/pastry. The sky is the limit, just use techniques and elements you have learned in the past year. I'm not quite sure how the idea came to me, it just popped into my head over Thanksgiving. I think it is very appropriate that one of the main components of my creative was a Tuile, considering the rough start I had with Tuiles, and now I love them dearly.

This was my concept: Dessert sushi, but really make it look like sushi, and use less traditional dessert flavors, and more traditional flavors you find in Asian cooking. Ginger, pineapple, sesame, pomegranate. I love sushi. I especially love maki rolls and the never-ending, imaginative flavor combinations. Maki also combines different textures. Crunchy matchstick pieces of cucumber, buttery bites of avocado, firm and fleshy pieces of fish, creamy sirachi and mayo, all encased in the papery nori and sticky rice. (I'm making myself hungry) My maki, of course was much sweeter. A crunchy and toasty Sesame Tuile encasing a gingery strip of Dacquoise, wrapped around a firm piece of Pomemgranate Jelly and a creamy caramelized Pineapple cream. It wouldn't have been complete with out poured sugar chopsticks, and a little chocolate cup with Pistachio Paste to look like Wasabi.
Pomegranate Jelly & Caramelized Pineapple Cream Maki

When I faced the judging panel, made up of 3 of my chef instructors, they told me they'd like another order of 12 pieces. They really liked the flavors and the presentation. They offered a few suggestions for improving the pieces, but overall were very happy with my offering. Just like that, the stress went away....almost. I still have the written final on Saturday morning. Compared to Monday and Tuesday, it should be a piece of cake.

Thanks again to Romain for his support and encouragement, I couldn't have done it without him. Another big Thanks to my roommates, who once again selflessly gave of their time and tastebuds. You guys are great!

1 comment:

Rohit Kumar Chemudupati said...

The Maki looks fabulous. Good presentation.