Friday, October 23, 2009

Around the World in Several Desserts

Mochi

Between work, school and numerous side jobs I'm finding less and less time to write. However, I'm not giving up, there is still lots of exciting things going on in school and at work to write about. Work goes well for me at Crema. I'm getting to know the team, the ins and outs of the kitchen and learning to work in close quarters. I'm eating my way through the sandwich menu at Crema (got to have lunch you know) and so far nothing has disappointed me. The soups are pretty tasty too. If you're thinking of stopping by, I also recommend the newest addition to our croissant line up: Ham, Cheese & Apple with Mornay Sauce. It's a wonderful savory combination wrapped up in a flaky crust, and perfect for breakfast, lunch or anywhere in between.

School has been a challenge mentally and physically. It's challenging working in a noisy kitchen for most of the morning and early afternoon and then only have an hour and a half time to go home, change from kitchen work clothes into school uniform kitchen clothes, put my feet up, have a snack and sometimes make a video call to Paris. Then I'm off again to school for up to 8 more hours on my feet. Thankfully I only do this one day a week now, but it is tiring.

This is why sugarwork is painful, those are heat lamps above my hands

My Sugar Roses

In the classroom we are being pushed to be more creative and taking on more challenging aspects of pastry. Chocolate is "temper"mental. Sugarwork is so beautiful and painful. Plated desserts not only have to taste good, they have to look like a work of art. We are still learning new stuff, but we're also taking many elements from previous lessons and combining them to make more elaborate desserts. We have several large projects in the upcoming weeks and I am brainstorming for ideas.
Nougatine (it was a little hot too)

The last two weeks of classes have taken us around the world, appropriately starting with French Tarts, followed by Italian Tarts. Then we traveled through Asia and Latin America, and returned home to the good old USA. French Tarts were not suprising. They used typical elements of pate sucree crusts, custard fillings, soaked genoise, and beautiful garnishes. Italian desserts followed with more use of nuts and some cheese. Latin American desserts are not a far cry from European desserts, but they have their own native twists. I made a Guava cheesecake. Asian dessert are probably the most different from any thing we have learned. They are not as only sweet and sugary and some like the Onde Onde contain some savory elements and are rolled into a mixture of Salt and sweetend coconut. When the American desserts class came up, I wasn't very excited, most of the desserts were things I have easily made on my own. But it turned out to be comfortable and relaxing class to prepare things that I was familiar with.
Tart Valentino

Onde Onde

After a few introductory classes to Chocolate and Sugarwork, we'll be returning to these works again in the upcoming weeks. These classes will lead to completion of final projects: a Sugarwork showpiece and a Wedding Cake with a Pastillage cake stand. The weeks are flying by.

1 comment:

almadenmike said...

Happened across your blog ... and love it. Wish you all the best in the future.

My wife's from Malaysia, and we all love onde-onde. The classic preparation has thinner shredded coconut and is green from pandan (leaf) extract.

-- Mike in San Jose, Calif.