Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sweet Reflection

It has taken me almost a week to write this post. I think everytime I sat down to write it, I had so many thoughts that it was difficult to organize them. Another thought was that writing this post meant that, yes, indeed my time in Paris has come to an end. I have hundreds of photos and just as many memories and stories from my time here. Some of these may surface after I return to the US. But for now............


They say time flies when you are having fun. I've had a lot of fun during my 2 short months here in Paris. Thankfully, thinking back on it, I don't have the feeling of "where did the time go?" As I recount the desserts, the meals, the trips and all the experiences, I feel like I made good use of my time here (though I wish I had managed to take some language courses). I remember my first day in the cafe and feeling overwhelmed and unsure about being able to understand everyone. I boiled over a saucepan of fruit juice I was trying to reduce on the induction cook top. It made a great sticky mess and I was very embarrassed. Not only did I need to learn the language....there were many other things for me to learn as well.

Wednesday was my last day of work at Le Cafe du Commerce. I'm amazed at how much I did, and how many desserts I made. Mostly, I am grateful. I can't say it enough how fortunate I have been to come to Paris, to work with such great people and to make good friends. I am thankful for the kindness that was shown me. This is an experience that will always be with me.

The Wonderful Owners of Le Cafe du Commerce and Me

For my last day, I made one last Tiramisu for the dessert du jour; this one with pears. Business is picking up at the cafe after the summer holiday lull. Working with Mme. Guerraud, we made 50 glasses filled with lady fingers soaked in espresso and Amarreto liqour, topped with a light and fluffy mascarpone mixture, fine diced pears, and a generous dusting of cocoa powder. I hoped with 50 glasses, some would be remaining by the time I returned that evening with friends to have dinner. I asked twice that evening if any was remaining just to make sure, but no they had all been served at lunch. I guess it was good.

Pear Tiramisu

Leaving Paris, is leaving a way of life I have come to know and enjoy in the past two months. Walking to work each day, climbing the stairs to the pastry kitchen each morning, the routines of preparing the regular desserts, having lunch with the staff before the cafe opened. I'll miss the Fruiterie next door. I won't forget the day I dropped my barquette of raspberries and they splattered all over the sidewalk. The man at the counter kindly gave me another one. While I did not develop the taste for strong Camembert and St. Marcellin cheese, I will miss Pate, Rillettes and Cornichons. It will be strange going to the grocery in the US. No more bottles of Creme Anglais, tubs of Taboule, lots of saucisson, and the yogurt aisle alone will be sorely missed. I will really miss Poupart-Picquet, the boulangerie/patisserie on Blvd de Grenelle. The morning I had the still-warm-from-the-oven pain au chocolate is burned into my memory and tastebuds. The list goes on and on.

I remember telling Romain that sometimes I needed to be a little bit American, even though I understood many of the French customs. To my American friends: I may need to act little bit French when I return.

Hanging up my Coat at Le Cafe du Commerce

What is next? is the big question on my mind. I return to Boston in 2 short days, and start school the following week. Prepare for more late night posts from a chocolate covered and overly sugared Jenni. Then challenge now is to make sure the second half of my schooling does not fly by, to look for opportunities to gain more work experience, and really push myself creatively. Oh, and to continue to learn French.

A bientot!

3 comments:

Nimgimli said...

Have a safe trip home. We'll be glad to have you back over on this side of the pond. :)

And thanks for keeping up your blog during your time in France. It's been a wonderful read.

Someday I expect to find your name on a cooking themed book or 10 at the local bookstore. You have a wonderful talent for 'writing food.' :)

Dru Shepherd said...

I want to thanks you for a lovely blog from France. What a lucky and talented girl you are. Your trip brings back so many memories for me from 30 years ago. I went with my art college to study in the South of France. This experience will stay with you always.-Dru

JJ Gonson / Cuisine en Locale said...

You can come be a little bit French around me any time you like.
Bon journée chérie!