Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Living and Working in Paris

Cafe Menu for the Day

I recently got an email from a friend asking how I was doing in Paris. They said they envisioned me walking down the street with a baguette under my arm, strolling through museums and passing the afternoons at sidewalk cafes with friends. Ah, the idyllic Paris experience. Well I have to admit, I've have walked down the street with a baguette tucked under my arm (I've even taken to pulling the end off as I leave the boulangerie and snacking on it on my way home). I did make a visit to the Centre Pompidou to see the Kandinsky and Calder exhibits, and sometimes I do sit at a cafe and enjoy a coffee with Romain and friends. While my accounts of weekend activities have left many people envious, I have to admit that living in Paris can be just like living in any other city (except I can see the tip top of the Eiffel Tower as I go up the escalator into my local grocery store).

Working in a restaurant in Paris, once you get past the language barrier, and coffee has been replaced by espresso, can be much like working in any other restaurant. It all translates. My days are pretty regular. I arrive at the cafe at 9am, pass through the kitchen saying Bonjour to everyone I pass. I climb the stairs to the second floor and quickly change into my chefs uniform. If I'm not already sweating from my brisk 5 min walk to work, the stifled air of the changing room usually brings an instant glisten to my face. I then climb the stairs to the 3rd floor to the pastry kitchen. It's a small and narrow kitchen, used for making pastries during the morning, and dinner service to the 3rd floor during the evening.

Quentin usually arrives before me and will have the oven already going, baking the chouquettes for the profiteroles. We then discuss what needs to be made that day, plan dessert du jour for the upcoming days, and then prep any of the already prepared desserts for service. During the week, I make regular batches of Creme Brulee, chocolate Pot de Cremes, chocolate sauce for the profiteroles, and rum syrup for soaking the Baba au Rhum. I have no doubt the smell of Rum, going forward, will no remind me of these days at the cafe, and I almost know the Creme Brulee recipe by heart. It's not glamorous work. By the time I leave, I am usually soaked in sweat and stained with chocolate and rum. However, it is satisfying work. I like the routine, I love seeing the trays of Creme Brulee coming out of the oven, looking all yellow and firm. All they need now is a sprinkling of sucre and a touch of the torch.

I especially enjoy coming up with the dessert du jour, this helps keep the routine of working in a restaurant, not too routine. It also allows me to unleash my creativity. This week Quentin wanted to make the Moelleux au Chocolat. After I made it the over the 4th of July weekend, I took some to the cafe with me and shared it with my coworkers. They loved it and I got several request for the recipe. Yesterday we made the Moelleux and they turned our lovely. I didn't get a chance to take a photo, but they were served in a pool of Creme Anglaise that I made, and then lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Our "regular" couple, cleaned their plates once again after having chosen the Moelleux for their dessert. Such a simple dessert, but simply amazing.
Tomorrow I am making Pear Tartlettes and for Friday we are re-introducing the lovely Panna Cotta with a dressing of Mango coulis.
Moelleux ready for the Oven

The "Test" Moelleux
(if you haven't tried this recipe yet, what are you waiting for???)

When I finish for the day, I descend the stairs to the second floor and change back into my regular attire. I continue to the first floor, saying Au revoir to everyone I pass. Sometimes chatting with a few coworkers, and making a few jokes. Then I pass through the front doors of the cafe and head to my temporary home.

I walk home and I start to consider what I should do with the rest of my day.....because who am I kidding? It may be like living and working in any other city, but I'm only in Paris for 2 months and there is a lot to see and do. Hmmm, which museum should I visit today? What boulangerie or Patisserie should I check out? Or do I just want to find another cafe and sit and have a coffee and people watch for a while?

2 comments:

Devin said...

Awesome stuff, Jenni. So happy to see you really enjoying yourself there and getting that level of enjoyment/fulfillment from work. :-)

Have fun! Looking forward to getting together when you get home!

Q. said...

((sigh)) Even your account of the non-glamorous life in Paris is fascinating. I thought the constant bread eating in Paris was funny. People walking around w/ giant loaves of bread, some gnawing on the knobby end piece (or better yet, breaking it off and giving it to their child.)
If it's okay, I'd love to add you to my blogroll! Fabulous blog.