Friday, July 3, 2009

DMCV, or Dieu Merci C'est Vendredi

Vanilla Panna Cotta with Cherries

In my previous career, TGIF was a constant phrase on Fridays. I lived for the weekends and my escape from my not so loved job. It really wasn't a great feeling, since the weekend was so short and once Monday came around, I'd have to drag myself off to work again. Today I'm thankful it's Friday, but only because it means I get to escape the heat of the kitchen for a few days. By Monday, I'll be more than ready to go back and get busy making pastries for the cafe again. It is an amazing feeling to love your job.

Today I think both Quentin and I were a little tired. Maybe the heat of the kitchen got to both our brains this week. He asked me why the Baba was hot when he cut it; the syrup was cold when he soaked it. I pointed to the hot apricot glaze he had just drizzled over top and said, "Le sirop de abricot est chaud". He forgot that he had just put the hot glaze on the Baba. We had a good laugh. Then I reminded him that I had also forgot about the induction cooktop again today and boiled some syrup over. (This thing is going to be the ruin of me). As we laughed again, I said, Dieu merci c'est vendredi. He gave me a puzzled look. Then I explained to him TGIF and told him it was his American lesson for the day. DMCV doesn't quite have the same ring to it as TGIF, but I'm sure the sentiment is common here too.

Yesterday, I made Panna Cotta for the first time. Quentin decided we should make a cherry topping for it. My fingers are still a little red tinged around the nails from all the cherries I cut and pitted yesterday. I then followed Mme. Guerraud's simple recipe for Panna Cotta. The milky mixture was poured into glasses and after cooling, went into the fridge to set up for today. Quentin showed me the glasses this morning. They had just a slight jiggle to them and looked perfect.

We set about trying to communicate how to prepare the cherries. Gestures, and lots of mixed English and French words ensued. The cherries were cooked in a simple syrup, strained and the remaining juice/syrup mixture was reduced, and Quentin added some Kirsch. The cherries and syrup were cooled and then spooned over the little Panna Cottas. They sure looked lovely. I noticed one of the glasses had a crack in it, so it was removed and designated as our test subject. Quentin grabbed 2 spoons and motioned for me to take the first bite. Heaven! The Panna Cotta was so light, silky and milky flavored. The cherries had just enough sweet and sour to balance with the Panna Cotta. After Quentin had a few bites too, he motioned for me to finish the last spoonful. "Pas du problem". A sweet finish to a sweet week.
The "Test" Subject

This weekend I'm hoping to visit the Musee d'Orsay. I heard admission is free on the first Sunday of the month, will have to check the website to be sure. No fireworks for my 4th of July. But a nice dinner with Romain and some visitors, and a walk around Paris will suffice for me.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Independence Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! I had not heard of cherries with panna cotta...usually berries, etc. Very nice.