Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bird's Eye View

Berries and Apples Ready for Crumble Topping

It's only my 3rd day of work at Le Cafe du Commerce, and I am in Love. The staff is friendly and welcoming. I'm amazed at what I can say in French, already learning a lot. The pastry kitchen is starting to become familiar to me. I've even learned how to properly use an induction cook top (when they say they can boil water in 90 seconds, they mean it!).

I am working alongside a young French culinary student named, Quentin. On my first day, we did not talk much. He said he knew little English, and I probably know just as much French. But between our collective knowledge, a French-English dictionary and a lot of gestures, facial expressions and noises, I think we are getting along great. He has told me that he prefers savory cooking over pastry, but likes working at the Cafe. (He seems to be quite popular with the staff.) Since he has filled-in in the pastry kitchen before, he is showing me the ropes, and I in return am showing him a few pastry tricks. We are having a lot of laughs in between.

For the summer, Mme. Guerraud has added a "dessert du jour" to the lunch menu. Each day we are to feature a new dessert item that is not offered on the regular menu. On Monday we served Flan Parisienne. (something I have not tried yet, but will put on my list of desserts to taste) Tuesday we served a berry and apple crumble. I got to take charge of using the "robot" (food processor) and mixing the butter, flour and sugar together for the topping. I was told today that many customers said they enjoyed the crumble. It appeared to be quite popular from my observations of the service.

With the layout of the Cafe, I can exit the pastry kitchen on the 3rd floor and peer over the railing down to the 2nd and 1st floors for a glimpse of the busy lunch time service. It's quite the unique perspective.

View from the third floor of the lunch time service

Desserts Ready to Go To the Tables

Finished Berry and Apple Crumble

Today's dessert du jour was an Apricot Tart. Very similar to the Tart Catalan we made in school, except this recipe's filling uses plain butter instead of browned butter. I did not get to taste it, but it looked fantastic. As I took my peek over the railing to the floors below, I could see it was being served in slices with some powdered sugar sprinkled on top. I looked as if it were just as popular as yesterday's crumble.

Apricot Tart

There were some slices of Apricot leftover from making the Tarts, so I cooked them in some simple syrup and made a tasty coulis. I spooned some over a scoop of Vanilla ice cream and sprinkled a few chopped pistachios on top. Then Quentin and I tried it out. It might be an idea for a future dessert du jour. Simple, but good; and a nice cool treat in a hot pastry kitchen.

Vanilla Ice Cream with Apricot Coulis and Pistachios

And now I'm off to make an Gateau du Fromage Blanc, or a French style cheesecake. It is a recipe I am practicing as an idea for the dessert du jour, since I have been asked to come up with some ideas. Once it is done, I will take some to work tomorrow for Quentin and Mme. Guerraud to try. Maybe spoon some of the Apricot Coulis over it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SO JEALOUS! :D Enjoy every minute. - Your old EH pal Kate