Monday, June 29, 2009

Mon Premier Jour

Need I Explain?

Want to know what is more daunting than starting your first new job in your new career field? How about starting that job in a foreign country where you don't have a very good command of the language. As excited as I was to start work this morning, I was just as nervous too. What if I couldn't understand anyone, what if no one spoke English, what if I didn't like it? I crossed my fingers, said a little prayer and stepped through the employee entrance to Le Cafe du Commerce. In my best (and many times rehearsed on my short walk to work) attempt at speaking French, I explained to the first person I met that I was there to see Monsieur Guerraud. I was pointed through the kitchen to the front of the cafe. Thus my day started.

I had nothing to worry about. Everyone was nice and welcoming. It was explained to me in English that the first week would be for me to observe and learn the operations of the kitchen (and see how well I do with the language). Workday proceedures were gone over and then up to the Pastry kitchen on the third floor to start work. The cafe serves a variety of traditional French pastries including a Baba au Rhum, Profiteroles, Pot de Creme, and the Paris-Brest. So today's tasks were making sure the kitchen was fully stocked with all the desserts for the day. I got to assist with making Chocolat Pot de Cremes, soaking the Baba's in the rum syrup and making chocolate sauce for the Profiteroles.

It looks as if my days will be short, and possibly only working 4 days a week. This will allow me to possibly take some classes, visit the important places in Paris, and most of all go on lots of adventures while I am here, while still getting the amazing experience of working in the pastry kitchen at a Paris cafe. I am once again feeling blessed and lucky. Many thanks to M. & Mme. Guerraud for this wonderful opportunity.
Chocolat Pot de Creme

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jenni,
What an opportunity!! Best wishes. Learn all you can, see all you will, and record the memories in that file on top of your shoulders. Of course take some pictures, too.
A Ann