Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Feasting Continues.....

Steak Night

Sauteed Sirloin Steaks

Last weeks savory components were Beef, Lamb and Pork. I was very excited about cooking steaks. It is the one meal that is so simple in composition, yet so easy to mess up (at least in my mind). What I learned last week was to not fuss over it so much, and make sure to let your steak rest before cutting into it. Of course using a good cut of beef goes a long way too.

Along with our steaks we made some pan sauces and an Espangole sauce. I think everyone's favorite was the horseradish sauce. Made with fresh grated horseradish, a roux, some cream, and the pan drippings from the steak; it was an amazing tangy accompaniment to our steaks. We also made a really good mustard sauce for the tenderloin steaks. I was in steak heaven.

In the midst of all this wonderful savory food, I have to admit, I was starting to miss having something sweet. There is a dessert recipe included in our savory recipes, but often we have not bothered to make it, either due to lack of time or lack of interest. Along with the steak recipes was a recipe for baked apples. Chef Jim insisted we make it, and I'm glad he did. I took charge. The apples were filled with a butter, brown sugar, and currants mixture and baked till soft and wrinkled. Then I reduced the pan juices to a glaze with a touch of Calvados. The cream cheese was whipped with some creme fraiche and some brandy for a nice, slightly tart contrast to the sweet apples. I piped the cream into the centers and drizzled the the glaze over top. They were the best baked apples I have ever had.

Creme-Filled Baked Apples

Tuesday night we covered Lamb and Pork. My classmates made some delicious stuffed pork chops, a roasted leg of lamb and I made braised lamb shanks. I also made French Fries. Several dipping sauces were made including a roasted garlic and rosemary mayonnaise that paired well with the fries. I think I have developed a serious mayonnaise addiction....more on that later.

Braised Lamb Shanks

French Fries

Last night we cooked fish, and I sadly forgot my camera. The dishes included little fingers of Sole breaded in a hazelnut crust with a sherry dipping sauce (mayonnaise), Salmon on a bed of creamy cabbage, and Sea Bass with Tomatoes, Zuchinni and Onions. I sat eating the wonderful fish last night and contemplating how I am going to recreate these dishes in France. I'm sure they would be welcome meals for my host and his friends.

Tonight we are cooking shellfish, and I will try to remember my camera. Next week is Pasta, Pizza and Hor D'oeuvres.....and lots of packing and preparing when I am not at school.

1 comment:

Jackie @PhamFatale.com said...

Oh you're killing me with all that food. It looks so good. The braised lamb shanks look to die for!