Monday, June 15, 2009

Counting down the days

Today is Monday. I leave for Paris on Friday, so you can imagine what a hectic week this is going to be for me. In the midst of my preparations I am aiming to pack light, but I want to be prepared for 2+ months in Paris. Last time I spent this much time out of the country was a 5 week study abroad trip to Germany in 2002. I took one suitcase, small enough to carry on and a backpack. Times have changed. I have since developed a passion for cooking utensils and cute shoes. Both can take up some space.

I know I can buy kitchen supplies in Paris, but there are certain things I feel I absolutely must take with me, that it would be redundant to purchase in Paris just for the short time I'm there. Sadly, my Kitchen Aid mixer is not on the packing list.....1. because it would need it's own suitcase and 2. there's that whole voltage difference thing. Good thing I've had so much practice hand mixing mayonnaise in our savory classes, I'll be in good shape for mixing anything I would normally rely on my mixer for.

For the people who keep telling me I shouldn't take a lot of clothes/shoes with me, that I should buy stuff there, um have you seen the Euro to the Dollar conversation rate lately? Have you ever shopped in Paris? And last but not least, contrary to popular belief this is not a 2 month vacation for me (though there will be some leisure time and activities allotted). I am going to be living off of a budget and hopefully working and learning a lot. Don't worry, I will not go crazy on taking every pair of shoes I own with me; but it is Paris and I will need to dress up once in a while.

I'm also thinking ahead for my blog. Since there won't be weekly classes covering different topics and the menu at the cafe is pretty much set, I am working on some ideas to write about. I recently acquired a copy of Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris (you can also link to her blog Chocolate & Zucchini from my Blogs I like to read section in the side bar). The book covers restaurants, cafes, chocolatiers, pastry shops and markets in Paris. So visiting some of these places should give me some good adventures to write about.

Another book I have picked up for reading is David Lebovitz's, The Sweet Life in Paris. It is an amusing little book about his adventures/misadventures of moving to Paris and becoming acclimated to the culture; and he includes recipes between each chapter. I have to laugh every time he mentions how he gives ice cream to his pharmacist, or how he showed the banker his cookbook and it helps him get what he wants. I am guilty of using my pastries as bartering power. I think maybe I will be ok in Paris.

I am going to take my leave for now. I will need the rest of this week to finishing deciding which shoes and which kitchen utensils make the cut, and make sure everything else is in order before I depart.

I'll be back next week, posting from Paris.

A bientot!

No comments: