Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect

Raspberry Macarons made for my practicum review

Once again I've been a little MIA. I've been busy preparing for several things. Packing up my apartment, preparing for the arrival of visitors, and for tonight's midterm practicum. This is my first big test in Pastry school. We arrive to class tonight, pull a random card with a recipe on it and then the fun begins. The selected card will only have ingredients and quantities listed. We will have to write out the procedure for making the recipes first and present them to the chef before we are allowed to go into the kitchen to prepare the recipe and then present it to the tasting panel. Piece of cake!

Thankfully the huge binder full of recipes for the first half of the program has been pared down to 8 possibilities for tonight. There are a few I feel extremely comfortable with and about 2 that I wouldn't be too thrilled about pulling. Macarons was one I wasn't feeling too sure about, until after last nights review and practice session, where Chef Delphin declared mine perfect and rivals of any you could buy in Paris. I ate a lot of Macarons in Paris, and after biting in to the delicate pink round last night, I heaved a great sigh of relief. They were perfect! and reminisce of the wonderful Macarons I bought at Pierre Herme.

I have a lot more thoughts I want to share about my program and progress thus far, but it will have to wait till after my test. I still have some last minute review to do and a little more cleaning in preparation for my guests that arrive tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Those are some absolutely gorgeous macarons!! I'm sure you will ACE your practicum tonight ... go Jenni, go!