Monday, April 6, 2009

Fun, Food-Filled Weekend

"Ohhh the Babies"

I've suffered my second culinary injury of sorts. My pinky finger on my right hand has a small blister from stirring 4 double batches of Pate Choux (approximately 500 puffs). I am by no means complaining; I am very proud of my battle wound because it was for a good cause. If Pastry makes me incredibly happy, making pastry for a good cause makes me even happier. I'll explain.

On Thursday while working a shift at SLT, I had the pleasure of meeting JJ Gonson from Cuisine En Locale. Take a look at my blog listings and you'll see the link for her blog. Cuisine En Locale is a personal chef service here in the Boston area that prepares meals with local and organic foods. I was intrigued by JJ's business and told her I was a pastry student at CSCA. She responded by asking me if I wanted a job. "Um, yes!"

Friday late afternoon was spent hanging with the fun employees of Cuisine En Locale in their kitchen making batch after batch of Pate Choux puffs. It was my trial by fire, and I think its safe to say I passed. The puffs were for a benefit event for Mind Matters on Saturday, that Cuisine En Locale was providing the food for. I didn't get to attend the event, but I had a great time making the puffs and getting to know the crew. I hope to be doing some more work for them soon.

Saturday I worked a short shift at SLT and then stopped by the Upper Crust on my way home to find it was my favorite pizza for the slice of the day! Eggplant, tomato and ricotta. Later in the evening I had a small gathering of friends for my birthday dinner. A friend from school cooked for us, we drank some wine and then had a great dessert of Lace Tuiles, Caramel Mousse, Coffee Cinnamon ice cream and Pear Almond Sorbert. I was so busy eating and enjoying the great company, I didn't take any photos. But the scallops and mushrooms, the asparagus, and grilled steaks we had were fantastic. I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG you met JJ? I'm friends with her! She's a major sweetheart and a big yelper!

I'm glad you got to work with her. She's good people!