Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Ugly Cigarette

I love watching makeover shows. Often on a Friday night when I don't feel like doing anything, I'll sit and watch repeat episodes of TLC's What Not To Wear. I like seeing how ordinary people can look extraordinary with a little help. Even when it comes to pastry, I try to see the beauty in the less fortunate products.

One of my classmates made cigarettes last week. Named so because they are intended to be rolled up like a cigarette, but can really be shaped in numerous ways. They are fun to make because you can mix color into the batter and do fun things like giving them spots or writing your name in them (see last photo from last weeks post). At the end of the evening, my classmate declared the blue and yellow cigarette to be ugly. I looked at it and immediately saw blueberries and a bright yellow sauce. To me it was a work of art that needed to be put in context. Voila!
White Chocolate Mousse with Cigarettes,
Blueberries & Mango Coulis



Florentines

This weeks classes started with Italian cookies. Lots of nuts and almond flour. I had a rematch with the Tuilles in the form of the Florentine cookie and am proud to say I was victorious. I also made Pistachio Paves; little chewy squares made of almond and pistachio paste and then topped with a sorbet glaze and chopped pistachios. What out marzipan, pistachio may be my new favorite.
Pistachio Paves

Last night's class was the beginning of Genoise cakes. Light spongy cakes that we baked and then wrapped up for the freezer to be used in an upcoming class. We did assemble one lovely cake last night; The Poem. Fresh strawberries, thin layers of Genoise, Buttercream, Pastry cream, and hints of Kirsch make up this work of art. They say a picture is worth a thousand words....
The Poem

I'd love to sit here and write more about my classes. School is progressing great. I'm still loving it. I find it hard to believe 8 weeks have already flown by, and I keep wondering where I will be when it is all done. Next week is Spring Break, a week off from school, but definitely not a week off from Pasty since I'll be enjoying some of the world's finest in Paris. Speaking of which, I need to go finish packing. My flight leaves tomorrow, but stay tuned for some tasty Paris tidbits.

Au revoir!

No comments: