Thursday, March 26, 2009

French Cakes Week

The Citron

I wish I could say the delay in my posting this week was because I've been incredibly busy, but in fact I haven't. I've been sleeping, drinking tea and eating homemade chicken noodle soup. I some how managed to escape the cold and flu bugs till now, which is amazing considering my crazy schedule the past few months.

Sadly I only attended one class session this week. Tuesday afternoon I sat on the couch with my tissue box debating if I should go to school of not. My roommate advised me not to. "But I want to go to school", I whined. However, I finally decided it was in my classmates best interest that I not show up that night and share my germs with them. Thankfully this week's classes were very similar and I didn't feel I was going to miss out on too much.

Monday, before I gave in to being sick, I made two cakes; the Citron and the Triomphe. I also took charge of making the French butter cream for the cakes that night. I'm fascinated by how fluffy eggs can get if you just leave them in the mixer and let them whip while boiling the sugar syrup for the butter cream. The butter cream turned out nice and fluffy, though a little soft. We used it to mix with lemon curd and caramel extract for each cake that night. Both cakes have a base of Genoise and layers of mousse topped with a glaze. This mixture of Genoise and mousse creates a cake that is light and melt-in-your-mouth good. This is why I can no longer eat grocery store birthday cakes. They just don't compare. Don't believe? Ask my friends whom have also been ruined by my cakes.
The Triomphe

1 comment:

Devin said...

unreal, as always! i'm allergic to nuts, but i might have to roll the dice if that second cake ever happened to appear in front of me... ;-)