Monday, February 2, 2009

Have a Little Heart

Chocolate Coated Marzipan Hearts

Many who know me well, know that even when I was employed full-time by EH, I usually worked a seasonal part time job during the holidays at a well known chocolate shop. It allowed me more money to buy gifts and who doesn't like chocolate at Christmas time? As a seasonal employee, my employment would start shortly before Halloween and end just after Valentine's day, their busiest sales day of the year.

It was also at this chocolate shop, I had my first taste of Marzipan. See some of their chocolate pieces were only available seasonally, one being the Marzipan heart. Its a little heart formed of rich almond/amaretto tasting marzipan enrobed in dark chocolate. Each year I worked there I looked forward to February when the Marzipan hearts would arrive. I'd buy a few for myself and then slowly savor them one by one, knowing my time with them was short.

Now that I am in pastry school, I'm realizing how readily available Marzipan is.... for a price. I luckily received several small cans of it as a Christmas gift this year. I've been eying mini heart cookie cutters at Sur La Table, and today I put 2 and 2 together. What could be more simple to recreate the Marzipan hearts? Especially since I am not working for the chocolate shop this season, I won't be getting a 50% discount on them.

I find also rather funny that this chocolate shop is the reason I have not been able to collect any unemployment benefits yet. You see, last year I didn't stay the entire season, I gave my 2 weeks notice early in January. When filing for unemployment, I had to list all employers from the year. They were one, even though I may have worked 2 days in 2008? When I gave my reason for separation for unemployment, I simply said I quit. I come to find out that the chocolate shop says I was laid off. And I thought December was the first time I had been laid off! Anyway, I may not be able to collect any benefits just yet, till the issue is resolved, but at least I will have my Marzipan hearts now and whenever I desire.

No comments: