Sunday, February 15, 2009

Food is Love

The Valentine's Day Feast

This one is for all the single people out there that loathe Valentine's Day. I kept reminding my single friends that its not just for people who are in love with a partner. It's for celebrating love for anyone and everyone. Remember back in elementary school when you gave valentines to everyone, not just the boy/girl you had a crush (but they did get the super special one, and maybe extra candy). I started my Valentine's Day off with a phone call to my best friend to tell her that I love her and hoped she had a good day. Later I called my parents to wish them the same and tell them I love them too. I was already starting to feel a little mushy.

Last night I celebrated Valentine's day the best way I know how. I cooked dinner for a small group of my friends. Feeding people is one of the best ways I know to show my love for others. And like a smothering grandmother who just can't squeeze and kiss enough, I over did it by making too much food, but that is what I do. My friends contributed to the meal with wonderful additions of a Tortilla Espanol, a spicy soup, fresh made guacamole, a selection of tasty cheeses, and bottles of wine. I made grilled prosciutto wrapped asparagus, chili-lime marinated shrimp skewers, sesame-soy marinated beef skewers, a tomato and fresh mozzarella salad with basil-balsamic dressing, and a chick pea salad. Dessert was Cognac Mousseline Dacqouise, assorted tarts, and marzipan hearts.

I think it is safe to say, everyone left very full and feeling loved. I made sure to hug everyone multiple times before they departed. It was definitely the best Valentine's Day I can remember. But any day can be made better for me by adding good friends and good food to the mix.

1 comment:

Rohit Kumar Chemudupati said...

So true, what you say. All one needs is good food, good wine and good company to celebrate any event. Or rather to enjoy life as a whole.
And I believe that there is nothing as Too Much Food. What you served was a mouthwatering selection of ample food.
Cheers, Whitelighter