Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Kindness of Strangers

I made it through my two days of work followed directly by 8 hours of school. Today was tough, especially since I was running behind this morning and had to leave my apartment without having my morning coffee. Work was good. I had a great conversation with a customer about my culinary goals.

I got to school a little early as usual. The morning class was finishing and packing up their goods. As I was going to get changed into my school uniform, one of the school staff members approached me with a folded paper in her hand. She said to me, "this is definitely a first for one of our students", and handed me the folded paper.

It was a letter from a gentleman in New Jersey. He had seen my interview on Good Morning America. He shared with me that his brother had once owned a restaurant in MA, and his sister baked the pies for the restaurant. He said he makes really good popovers too. He was moved by my story and wanted to make a donation to help me out. As I unfolded the rest of the letter, I realized enclosed was a personal check written to me for $50. I was astounded and completely touched by this gesture.

It was a beautiful reminder of how blessed am I, and how kind people really are. Thank you, thank you so much to this kind man, and to all my friends, family, and those of you I may not even know. Thank you for believing in me, supporting me, (and for reading my blog). It's one thing to have finally found your calling in life. It's another thing to have so many people backing you in your decision to answer that call.

I'm off to bed now. Check back tomorrow afternoon for class updates and photos.

3 comments:

Nimgimli said...

What a nice gesture. Y'know, when something bad happens to someone who is kind of a bastard we attribute it to karma. Your story is a good reminder that karma works in a positive way as well. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to hear a "When good things happen to good people" story for a change. :)

Lilac Haven said...

That is amazing. What a great feeling. Mom and Dad were impressed with your interview too. Like your new heading. Got the book The Great Book of Chocolate by David Lebovitz in the mail yesterday. Can't wait to read it.

Kristen said...

What a great story, and such a nice gesture. A fantastic reminder that there are wonderful people out there!!