Thursday, January 1, 2009

Home for the Holidays

When I called my parents to tell them about being laid off from my job, one of the first things they said was, "Great, now you can come home for Christmas!". For those of you who may think I have a weird sense of humor at times, at least I get it honest. I took my family up on their offer and went home for Christmas.

I hadn't been feeling much in the Christmas spirit this year. When my brother informed me that is was Mom's job to bring the dessert for Christmas dinner at his house, I could think of only one thing: Buckeyes! Buckeyes have been a holiday staple in my family for years. We used to make them a week or so in advance and Mom would hide them in the freezer or somewhere. We wouldn't see them again till Christmas eve, no matter how hard we searched for her hiding place.

Christmas morning I decided I wanted to make buckeyes. Mom provided the peanut butter, butter, powdered sugar and chocolate chips. We rolled the peanut butter mixture into balls and then melted the chocolate chips in her double boiler. (I think this may have to be my next purchase) The results? Well the buckeyes didn't last long, they never do, and it felt a little more like Christmas to me.

No comments: