Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy New Year

Dumplings

Chinese New Year that is. My friend Hong hosted a wonderful dumpling making party to co-celebrate the New Year and his birthday. I have never made dumplings before, but I've eaten plenty. I turned out to be a quick study in dumpling folding, and filled this plate quickly.

Hong made a lucky dumpling. It was explained to me that a coin is wrapped in one of the dumplings and then the dumpling is added to the others. Whoever gets that dumpling is supposed to have a lucky year. I joked that my year has already been lucky, so I wouldn't be needing that dumpling. (The girl who found the lucky dumpling last year apparently found a nice new boyfriend two months later).

Hong demonstrating dumpling making


I was just remembering to save room for dessert when I helped myself to another dumpling, telling myself it was going to be my last one. I managed to pick it up with my chopsticks and take a bite. I returned the uneaten portion to my plate while I joined in the conversation around the table. I just happened to glance down at the half eaten dumpling and notice a glimmer of metallic. I had found the lucky dumpling. I guess it really is my luck year.
The quarter from the lucky dumpling

Fried Dumplings

Of course I also provided the dessert for the festive occasion. Hong had requested something with fruit and I know he loves anything almond, so I suggested a Frangipane Tart. This gave me an oppurtunity to try a Pear and Almond version. The pears were poached in a sugar syrup and then sliced thinly before being placed into the almond cream. The pastry crust turned out nice and flaky.
Pear and Frangipane Tart

1 comment:

Nimgimli said...

Lucky dumplings! What a neat idea. :)

Congrats on getting even more good luck!