Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The BIG announcement!

It's been an anxious few weeks since I lost my job. I've been rushing about trying to get all necessary admissions materials turned in to the CSCA, along with hoping and praying I could get a loan to pay for tuition. Yesterday I turned in my final materials, got fitted for my uniform, and went over the student kits and books I will be receiving for class. I felt like the kid who was allowed to peer into the candy store and then dragged away with no treat. Since my loan was still in limbo approval mode, I did not get to take anything home. I wanted to start reading the textbooks and start absorbing as much knowledge as I can before classes start. (I was always in trouble in elementary school for reading ahead, somethings never change). I thought how awful it would be to have come this far and then be denied financing.

I think the stress and excitement got to me. I arrived home, had a quick lunch and retired for a nap. I woke later to check my phone for missed calls and discovered a voicemail from the school. I nervously dialed my voicemail. Held my breath, crossed my fingers and listend to my 1 message. My loan was approved! Instead of excitedly dancing and jumping up and down, I let out a big sigh, high fived my roommate, and in true Jenni fashion, started wondering what I've got myself in to.

Tonight I go to orientation. I'm hoping now I can take my student kit and textbooks home, and give them the go ahead to embroider my name on my chef coat. Next Monday is my first class. 37 weeks of two 8 hour lab classes and 3 hour seminars all focused on the fine art of pastry (and other culinary skills). Somebody pinch me.

1 comment:

Nimgimli said...

SWEET!!!!

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you; it does my cranky old heart good to see a young person following their dreams with such success.

Sounds weird to say, but I'm damned glad these knuckleheads laid you off (although we sure do miss you!). I guess things really do happen for a reason.