Friday, January 9, 2009

Baby Cake for Mom

My sister Maria informed me that Mom would like a baby cake with roses; red or pink would do. Tonight I came home and was struck with an idea. I should have been in bed, um hours ago, but hey I don't have to work tomorrow, so I got straight to work on the next baby cake.

In true daughterly fashion, I stayed up past my bedtime and didn't follow my mother's wishes, but I think she will be pleased with the results. Here is my Calla Lily cake. I covered this one completely in fondant and the flowers and leaves are made of fondant too. I don't think this one is going to be eaten, too much fondant and not really enough buttercream beneath it to make is taste better. Believe it or not, baby cakes have been harder to cover completely in frosting than say an 8" cake. The fondant was kind of a short cut for me tonight.

I'm off to bed now.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

So pretty! I love the colors :) And I agree with you ... it is so much harder to cover a mini cake in buttercream than it is to frost a larger cake. No weight to hold the little cakes down! I've found that you definitely get a more finished looking product when you cover mini cakes with fondant. BTW - I found a brand of fondant that people actually seem to like - you might want to give Satin Ice a try! It's not nearly as gummy as the Wilton fondant, and has a nice vanilla flavor.

Lilac Haven said...

Jenni, That's beautiful. I had no idea you were such a talented cake artist. :-)