Friday, January 9, 2009

Afternoon Delight

Despite the late night last night and not having to work today, I was not going to let the day go to waste. My roommate and I went to Belmont to a great cafe called Vicki Lee's to have lunch. I ordered a tuna and avocado melt and she had a grilled steak with carmelized onions, roasted tomatoes and blue cheese sauce. Both sandwiches were generously sized and cut in half, we decided to swap halves and each enjoy a half of tuna and a half of steak.

I still can't decide which one I liked best. I was leery of the blue cheese sauce on the steak. I like blue cheese, but sometimes it can be over powering. Not to fear, the sauce was just perfect, light and subtle, just enough to balance the sweetness of the onions and tomatoes. The tuna wasn't heavy on mayo or any spice, but had a nice ratio of petite diced red onions and avocado to tuna. It was topped with fontina cheese, very mild tasting, and grilled panini style. There were many choices on the menu I would have liked to try including a cuban sandwich and a chicken piccata sandwich on a warm baguette with lemon aioli. I think I'm going to have to go back.

Now you may wonder why if I am unemployed and heading into poor student status again, why on earth am I treating myself to nice meals out? I'm doing research of course! I have compiled a list of cafes in the Boston area that I plan to visit and taste their wares. I want to see what my competition is, or who might be a good possible future employer. Plus it feeds not only my tummy, but also my idea bank. So far I have visited The Biscuit in Somerville, Pie Bakery and Cafe in Newton and Vicki Lee's in Belmont. So far Vicki Lee's has been my favorite. Not only were the sandwiches exceptional, but she had a case full of beautiful and delicious looking European style pastries. This is my kinda place, modern and chic, and a sophisticated but accessible menu. I will fill you in on my other cafe visits as I continue my "research".

When my roommate and I returned home, I was ready for a nap. I debated the amount of time I had till going meet some friends for happy hour. I ruled out a nap, made a fresh pot of coffee and started to mix up a batch of chocolate French Macarons with raspberry chocolate buttercream filling.
French Macarons differ from the American known macaroon, in that they are more of a meringue cookie made with egg whites, sugar and almond flour. They are light and airy, with a crisp outer shell and a melt away center. In other words: wonderful. I first experienced them at LA Burdicks in Harvard square where they are sold under the alias: Luxembourgers. I was conducting an imformal tour of the Harvard and MIT campuses for a few friends one summer and we stopped at Burdicks for a treat. Two of my friends were from France, and one mentioned that Burdicks had macarons. I was confused; I love coconut macaroons and I searched the pastry case over looking for macaroons, but did not see any. It was then explained to me that they were "French macarons". I tried them and was hooked.

If you want to see how popular this lovely little cookies are and the range of inventiveness the French take with them just visit the Laduree or Pierre Herme websites. I'm not sure why they haven't taken over in the United States yet. I may just have to start my own little French Macaron Revolution.

1 comment:

Lilac Haven said...

Will you email me the recipe for the French macroons? They look divine.