Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas came early......










































In the form of a Kitchen Aid Pro 6 mixer! I really wanted a red one, but when I found this one going for a good price on craigslist, color was the least of my concerns. I have been drooling over the idea of having a Kitchen Aid stand mixer for some time and after using one at the CSCA during my baking classes, there was no going back to my $20 hand mixer I bought at Wal-mart. I want to play in the big league now; I need big league equipment.

I thought last years gift of my Anolon non-stick cookware was the one of the best Christmas gifts ever, but Pete has managed to top himself this year. When he said he would like to buy the mixer for me as my Christmas gift, I questioned him, "are you going to do the same thing you did to me last year? Because if you are, I'm just going to buy this myself, I have things I need to make with this BEFORE Christmas!". Last year I was with him when he bought me the cookware. It was early December. Since I was with him and knew what my gift was going to be, I figured that meant I would get it right then and there. NOPE! He took it home with him, wrapped it and then presented it to me at his family's Christmas gathering. Oh, gee I wonder what is in this box? He said he'd let me have the mixer this time. I offered to let him take the dough hook with him to give to me on Christmas, but he left it here. Good thing, I want to try making brioche.

I also got some nice gifts from my Mom when I was home for Thanksgiving. A cook book that had been my Grandmother's, a metal milk can we used to keep the pasteurized goats milk in when I was younger, some mixed dishes that have been retired from her kitchen, a much coveted jar of her homemade salsa (which I had ask for with my fingers crossed) and a jar of sour cherry jelly- made from the cherries that grow on the bushes around my parents house. Mmmmm! This may turn out to be the tastiest Christmas yet.

No comments: