Monday, December 15, 2008

The Ambitious Oreo Cake


This weekend I took on my most ambitious cake thus far. Not only was it the biggest and most work intensive cake, it had to be done in secret because it was for Pete's surprise birthday party on Saturday. Pete is known to many of his friends as, "Oreo" (rhymes with his last name), so when I thought up the design for this cake, I couldn't think of anything more fitting.

I found a 16" round cake pan at Michael's. Kristen, a fellow cake decorator, pointed me to a blog with a great recipe for an Oreo cookie cream filling, and 3 batches of chocolate cake batter, 1 liter of heavy cream, and entire bag of Oreo cookies, 4 sticks of butter and about 2 1/2 lbs of powdered sugar later. Oh and about 4 hours of labor. Voila!
Next time you eat an Oreo, take a close look at it. There is a lot of detail on one little cookie. I wasn't able to completely recreate the design, but I think I got it pretty close. Pete seemed pretty pleased.


The Oreo cookie cream filling is highly addictive. Sandwiched in between two layers of moist chocolate cake and covered in chocolate and vanilla buttercream. Goes great with a tall glass of milk.
















Tomorrow night we are playing with Fondant again in class. We will be making Fondant roses and flowers. Then next week is the final class for level 3 and then I will start level 4, which is more Fondant and Gum Paste.

2 comments:

Nimgimli said...

That cake is HUGE!!! What a great idea. And a Happy Belated Birthday to your Pete!

Kristen said...

*Awesome*!!!! Looks fantastic - nice work!!! I'm glad that the oreo filling came out well.