Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Tarts







Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and yes it has a lot to do with the food. Or maybe I love food because of Thanksgiving? Either way this holiday has always been dear to my heart. All the way back to my childhood days when my family got up early to drive to Cincinnati to visit my Dad's Godmother and attend Thanksgiving day mass with her. We would return home ravenous, and as soon as you opened the door the smell of turkey greeted your nose, and made your tummy rumble even more.

My family's Thanksgiving fare was always traditional. A Large turkey (some years a large as 40lbs!), green been casserole, sweet potatoes with marshmallows baked on top, dinner rolls and Mom's Cranberry Salad where annual stars of the table. Don't forget dessert: pumpkin pie, apple pie and sometimes my Dad's favorite- Mincemeat.

This year my brother David and his wife Lynn hosted the family gathering in their Lucasville, Oh home. There was no lack of food this year as always. I really wanted to make a dessert since I had just bought these adorable little tart tins, but I got beat out by other bakers in the family. I just had to use the tins, so I made some little sweet onion quiches, inspired by a recipe from a friend.

To add some color and different flavors, I topped some of the tarts with slices of asparagus spears, halved cherry tomatoes, and slivers of mushrooms. I especially liked the asparagus ones and will definitely make these again.

And no doubt you'll be seeing products of these tart tins again soon.....

No comments: