Sunday, November 16, 2008

FNS - Friday Night Sushi



I remember as a child thinking sushi must be the most replusive thing a person could eat. I also grew up in the Midwest and no matter how hard my mother tried to get me to eat fish, canned tuna or anything covered in batter or deep fried was as far as I'd go.

Fast foward to my college years. My taste buds finally woke up and I started to rethink sushi, but didn't really try it till I moved to Massachusetts and then I was hooked. My friend Leah introduced me to Asahi, my favorite sushi restaurant in Brighton. Often we'd meet up there for a friday night sushi dinner before heading off to the Havana club for salsa dancing.

I've wanted to learn to make sushi for some time now, but classes in Boston are few and almost always sold out. The CSCA, where I have been taking the baking classes, offers sushi class too and I signed up.

It turns out that sushi is not really difficult to make; the big challenge is to cook the rice properly and season it just right. Another challenge is to get sushi grade fish. You don't want to take chances with raw fish. Thankfully living in Boston, fresh fish is not too hard to find. Once you have all this, it's really up to your creativity and rolling skills.

I made the spicy tuna roll, one of my favorites. However if I make this one at home, I may rearrange the recipe a bit to suit my tastes. Other fillings we used in the class included salmon, fresh veggies, vegetable and shrimp tempura, and buckwheat soba noodles. Below is a slide show of the other photos I took.



And for those of you who are still squeamish about raw fish, sushi can also be made with cooked fish or just vegetables and it a very healthy meal. Now I just need to get a rice cooker and a sushi mat to try this at home.