Monday, November 3, 2008

Baking Class II: Frangipane Fruit Tart






We had the opportunity in class tonight to make one of several items; the frangipane tart, a sweet potato pie with a praline topping, lemon curd tartletts, a blueberry cheese pie, a cherry pie, a savory pot pie, or a tomato pesto quiche. Tough choice, but I have always admired the beautiful glazed, fruit topped tarts you see in the pastry case at Whole Foods, or the local grocery. I even tried my had at making them a year or so ago, but didn't have the recipe for a good filling. So I jumped at the chance to make one tonight.

The filling is amazing. Its made of butter, almond paste, eggs, lemon zest and a small bit of flour. I got to use the school's pretty red kitchen aid mixer to make the filling. The frangipane smelled amazing, just like marzipan. Once the tarts had baked and cooled, I got to top them with the sliced fruit and glaze them with a mixture of apricot jelly and kirsch. Seriously, I had to get my hands on some kirsch. Maybe I just need to make one of these tarts on a weekly basis. Oh heaven. And I just bought a removable bottom tart pan at Home Goods yesterday.

The pictures are not the greatest, but this tart tastes heavenly. I have been a fan of marzipan since the first time I had a marzipan heart from Godiva several years ago. This probably also means I would like Amaretto liquor, but I've never really had it. Might have to start using it to flavor some of my upcoming cake creations. The almond paste in the tart filling stands out just enough to please any amaretto, marzipan loving, tart eating person.

Cake decorating level 2 starts tomorrow night. I will be learning advanced flowers and colorflow. Don't ask me what colorflow is. I have no idea. Once I learn it, I guarantee you'll see examples right here. So hang in there, there is more good stuff to come. I promise. :-)

3 comments:

*Keri* said...

Hello from a fellow roller girl! I found your blog by googling "chondromalacia roller derby" as I too suffer from that particular ailment. I am looking for any info I can get. Please email me if you have some free time. Would love to ask you some questions if that's okay!

Iggy Poppins
godzjewelx @aol.com

Elizabeth said...

I can't wait to see more of your goodes ;-) I am soo excited for you and hope you continue with this. I believe in you!

Elizabeth said...

sorry, that was supposed to say goodies!