Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Updates




You Are Basil



You are quite popular and loved by post people.

You have a mild temperament, but your style is definitely distinctive.

You are sweet, attractive, and you often smell good.




I'm hoping to get out to my garden plot soon and do a little clean up before winter. I sadly abandoned it in late August after my tomatoes started to rot. I'm hoping with the winter ahead, I'll have to time plan a little better for the coming spring, and have even more success next year!

In other news, I have a new car! No photos yet, but I got a 2005 Mazda 3 hatchback. It will be very handy for transporting flats of plants and supplies (new fence) out to my plot next year.

At this point I think I'm going to turn the blog over to my cooking adventures. I regret not taking pictures of the meal I prepared on Monday evening for my vegetarian friends who were visiting from Ohio. I made mashed potato and spinach stuffed portabello mushrooms, a nice Boston lettuce salad with chickpeas, olives and avacodo, and of course- Apple pie for dessert. There were no leftovers. And even Pete, who claimed he wanted a steak before we had sat down to the table, seemed pretty content afterwards. I will definitely be making this meal again.

In other food adventures, I had picked up a bag of Cortland apples to make applesauce and apple butter. Mom graciously sent me her apple butter recipe. I was stood over the saucepan stirring in the cinnamon, sugar and cider vinager. Just as the mixture started to heat and the smell reached my nose, I was instantly transported back in time about 14 years or so, to my Mom's kitchen. I had forgotten how heavenly was the smell of cooking apple butter. I enjoyed a lot of it for breakfast the next day, spread on warmed croissants. Mmmm. I have to stop. I'm making myself hungry.

Happy fall to everyone. It's my favorite time of year!

No comments: