Friday, June 13, 2008

Let us eat lettuce.

















Ok, I've been slacking a little on this blog thing, but my garden has thankfully not been slacking on this growing thing. Here is the first harvest of my Boston Lettuce from last Saturday. Pete and I enjoyed a yummy salad Saturday evening and tasty BLTs on Sunday afternoon. I stopped by to water the plants tonight before my weekend trip to Ohio. I have two more heads of lettuce looking ready to be picked and several more to follow including some red lettuce and romaine types. My spinach has sadly not done nearly as well. I may reseed and try again in the fall.

I keep forgetting my camera each time I go to the garden, so I cannot show the progress my plants are making. This is not necessarily a bad thing because photos would also show the progress the weeds are making too. I need to invest some serious sweat equity when I get return next week. I am wondering if the lilacs on the east side of my plot are shading my plants a bit too much. I've compared some of my plants progress to that of my neighbors and, well I'm a little envious of the size of some of theirs already. I'm going to start referring to my plot as the, "little garden that could". :-)

More photos next time, I promise

No comments: