Saturday, May 17, 2008

Oh Pea, oh my!






























In my apartment hunting absence, my peas and lettuce have taken off! Last sunday I was pleased to find hardy bunches of pea plants in my plot. The lettuce is lagging behind the peas a bit, and the Boston lettuce plants I bought seem to be wilting and not doing so well. BUT the peas, oh glorious peas!

I did find a new apartment and signed the lease last week. The end of this month is going to be very busy with me packing up my belongings and moving to my new home, which thankfully is not too far from my garden. (and it has a nice backyard.....). It also brings Memorial day weekend; the time for planting outdoors without fear of frost anymore. I have a windowsill full of beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, zinnia and nasturtium seedings that are eager to stretch their roots and limbs, and take off.

I did plant a few things last weekend that I do not have to worry about frost affecting. A nice coworker gave me a large bunch of dahlia bulbs. I bought some day lily bulbs and put them into the ground. At the far end the plot I planted 2 small bunches of Sequoia strawberries. They already has small green strawberries on them from sitting in the windowsill at home for a few weeks.

I'm anxious for warmer weather and seeing how my plants (babies) fair.

2 comments:

Nimgimli said...

That garden looks like its coming along just fine!

Hey, got any recipes that use dill? We've got dill growing like made (indoors) and can't really find a use for it.

JenniDoesDessert said...

Salmon, use dill to make sauces for salmon. That's the only thing that comes to mind right now. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.