Sunday, April 20, 2008







I spent about 2 1/2 hours in my garden plot yesterday. I finally remembered to bring my camera with me and took some before and after photos. I turned most of the soil over yesterday creating two rather large sized beds and one smaller one.

Earlier last week, I stopped by on my way home from work to sow some snap peas, spinach, butter crunch and romaine type lettuces. So far no sprouts. The weather has been nothing but glorious since Monday. Sunny skies and highs in the 60's. This also means no rain. I was told by an older gardener last weekend, that the city does not turn on the water to the garden till May 2nd. In the meantime, I've been filling a small tupperware container and taking to water the seed plots.

My seedlings at home are doing great and I'm considering moving them out of the flat into separate peet pots so I can start planting more. I still want to start some carrots, onions, squash, more beans, and maybe some more Zinnias.

I do worry a bit that I am trying to do too much for my first "official" garden. BUT I've never had so much space before and I hate to let it go to waste. I figure I might as well try and see what happens, I can always make changes for next year. Besides my container gardens in the past have faired well, so why should a little ground in a nice sunny spot be any worse? :-)

No comments: