Wednesday, April 23, 2008

First post on Derby




In February, I started skating with the lovely Skate Free or Die Roller Girls of NH. New Hampshire's first Roller Derby league. I was inspired to join them after attending my first Boston Derby Dames bout in November of last year.

First, before I go any further, let me clear up some common misconceptions about Roller Derby. Yes, we do get to knock each other down while skating around a track....BUT there are rules and regulations. My league is training to play as a member team of the Womens Flat Track Derby Association, better known as the WFTDA. No, we are not allowed to elbow people in the face. Go educate your bad self more at: http://wftda.com/

Tonight I attended my first outdoor practice. Normally we practice at a roller rink. Now that the weather is more favorable (and New Hampshire is no longer buried in snow) we found a park with a nice patch of concrete to hold skate practices. It was a small gathering tonight. I went mostly to work on, and hopefully pass, my level one assessments. Yes, we have levels and assessments. Derby isn't just all skating around in outrageous outfits, knocking each other over.....it invovles skill too. I'm proud to say I passed my level ones tonight! Thanks to the other girls who coached me and encouraged me tonight. Below is the level one assessment sheet.

level 1

can begin doing contact in practice after passing and at least 4 practices

# of practices attended





Pass Fail
Skating Posture

bends at knees and hips with shoulders back

swings arms fluidly

Stride

has steady, confident, fluid strides

uses both feet to push forward on straight-aways

Stepping (from a standstill)

forward and backward

side to side in both directions

Squatting while skating

squat and coast through the entire straightway and turn

squat and propels self on straight-aways and around turns

Fall safely

single knee

double knee

figure 4/baseball slide

180 degree turn single knee fall

Balance

Perform one-foot glides with each foot for the legth of the straightaway

Has the ability to propel self while keeping all eight wheels on the floor

Can move easily and fluidly from one side of the skating lane to the other

Stops

skater must come to a complete stop from a brisk pace, using proper form and without loosing balance

T-Stops

Dragging toe stops

Crossovers

performs smooth crossovers while skating at a brisk pace going into and coming out of turns

uses both feet to push during crossovers



Now being a level one skater, I am now able to participate in contact exercises. Yes, that means I can bump into the other girls, or in derby speak: take and receive hits. I'm excited. P.S. Don't tell my insurance company.

And one last thing. My derby name was accepted by the national register. (you have to clear a name with the registry before using it. There are over 11,ooo names on the register, http://www.twoevils.org/rollergirls/). I am now known by my teammates as "Cruelia Child" #13 Baker's Dozen

1 comment:

Nimgimli said...

Congrats on level 1! Hope you didn't break anything. ;)